I did it!!!! … dyed my hair ‘blonde’! Ok, not cooompletely, but the ombre (gradient) style going from my natural brunette hair color to brown to blonde. I’ve heard that salons charge about $300 + for the look. Hmmm, me pay $300? Naaaaaah … this gal went for DIY ombre at-home salon! Here’s the picture I posted in Facebook:
I thought I would need to purely bleach my hair, but it turns out that Clairol and L’oreal makes hair dye for brunettes (yipppeeee). I applied Super Blonde (almost to shoulder length) and my hair section turned medium brown color after a looong 90 minutes, but I still didn’t get the light blonde effect, and I ran OUT of the lotion (darnit!). I think I may not had mixed the contents FIERCELY! So back to the store I went (yep, I was DETERMINED!) ….
…. When I went back to the store Super Blonde was gone (boo hooo), but I spotted Born Blonde and tackled it.
1) I recruited my hubby to shake the contents (my puny shake was def not sufficient). Shake shake shake!
2) I mixed in less of the conditioner to make the bleach stronger (about 1 tablespoon). Why? I didn’t want to take any changes of going through YET ANOTHER round of this again (did I mention how STINKY the dye lotion is!!! STINK-A-RAMA!). Do keep in mind that when you don’t use all the mix your hair is less protected from damage. My hair grows fast (thank goodness!) so I had no fear of any damage results that couldn’t be ‘fixed’ (which means …. me running to my hair stylist vowing to him that I would never try this again on my own).
2) I divided my hair in 2 (I recommend 4 divides so more dye can get to it, but I did it in 2 since …. well, pure laziness) and placed them in aluminum foil.
3) Then applied the dye, but this time to the TIPS ONLY to get a lighter blonde color.
4) Then waited about …. 30 minutes zzzzzzzzz. Finally, voila:
I personally LOVE it! Have you thought about dyeing your hair? Do you go to the salon or do it yourself? Stay tuned for this week’s Wednesday’s Wink – where I reveal the wallpaper I installed in my home. Back then I had short hair, so it shows what my hair would had looked like if this DIY ombre hair dye didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to. Have a WILD fun day!!!
(photo credits: Ada’s Interior Design ) Every comment is read, appreciated, and loved. To leave a comment please scroll down!