So what do you do when you look for drawer handles and can’t find a style that you LOVE with a price that won’t give you a heart attack? The answer – you DIY your very own handles! And, I did! For our kitchen I decided to DIY leather drawers pulls. And, it’s cost me less than $10. I KNOW, kinda freaking awesome, right! See below the materials I used, the simple steps, and more photos.
I used 1/8 thick beige color leather lace cord
- need 3 strands (for the cool braid)
- cut to about 18″ long (so, 3 strands of 18″ leather cords for each drawer)
1. drill holes on drawer panel (use standard size 3″ or 4″, this way if you want to change the handle in the future you already have the standard size)
2. thread 3 leather cords through the LEFT hole from INSIDE the drawer
3. take about 5″ of the leather cords from the INSIDE of the LEFT drawer and KNOT it from the INSIDE
4. knot the OUTSIDE of the LEFT drawer
5. braid leather cords until you reach a length you like (4″ for a 3″ drill handle, 5″ for 4″ drilled handle)
6. tie a knot on the RIGHT side OUTSIDE drawer
7. thread cord through hole on RIGHT side
8. tie a knot on the INSIDE of the drawer
9. cut excess thread and ADMIRE your work
After you create / install it feel free to do a happy dance knowing that you have UNIQUE drawer pulls that YOU created and YOU saved money. Also, this doesn’t have to be a drawer handle for just kitchens. You can add these to your nightstand drawers, or dresser drawers, or file cabinets, or console table drawers, just remove the current handles/pulls. Have a BEAUTIFUL day!